Getting to Know: British Tennis player Fran Jones
Fran Jones is no ordinary tennis player. Born with a rare genetic disorder ectrodactyly-ectodermal dysplasia (EED), Fran learned to adapt her game style to play tennis. But, the word ‘impossible’ is not part of her vocabulary. Not only is Fran managing her syndrome, but she also moved to Spain as a young girl to live and train to be the best.
She tells me why Spain won out against the US for training abroad, seeing different Grand Slam winners on the WTA tour (Serena Williams gets a shout out) and how would her friends describe her?
- Career-high ranking 297 (June 2019)
- Selected for Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) Association Pro Scholarship Programme – funding for British players whose governing body believe will crack the top 100.
Getting to Know: British Tennis player Millie Rajecki
Millie Rajecki is heading to NC State University, North Carolina USA later this year for training and study – subject to coronavirus travel restrictions, of course.
She tells me how she’s keeping fit during the lockdown, why the court is the only place she can express herself and the deep love for Marks & Spencer (M&S) Percy Pigs!
Getting to Know: British Tennis player Tara Moore
Who is Tara Moore? Loves tennis, loves being a dog mum and passionate for lower-ranked players to have a voice in the game. We chatted around half-an-hour talking the industry (so much to unpick!), life under lockdown in Michigan USA and her desire for better distribution of Grand Slam prize money.
- Career high ranking 145 (May 2017)
- Running for ITF Player Council
Getting to Know: British Tennis player Holly Hutchinson
Holly lives and trains at Old Dominion University, ODU in Virginia USA. Following a whirlwind few months, hear how she’s coped with the massive changes in her life, what’s her motivation to become a professional tennis player and what’s the one thing she’s working on right now.
- Beat a top 10 (#2 Cameron Morra) ranked player in the US university system
Getting to Know: British Tennis player Vic Allen
Back in the UK during the coronavirus pandemic, Vic studies and trains under the US collegiate system in sunny Florida. Hear why she moved Stateside, running up Derbyshire hills as part of her training programme and accidentally hitting tennis balls into her neighbour’s back garden.
- Trains and studies Sports Management at Florida State University, US
- Reached last 16 of the Australian Open Junior Tennis in 2019
Getting to Know: British Tennis player Jodie Burrage
Hear my insightful conversation with Jodie on keeping fit during social isolation, her disappointment missing two grass court seasons and perfecting her golf swing in her back garden.
- Burrage has won three ITF titles
- Career high ranking 233 (June 2019)
- Current ranking 289 (as of 16 March 2020)
Getting to Know: British Tennis player Katy Dunne
Hear my insightful conversation with Katy on the impact of coronavirus on tennis, Wimbledon being pushed to 2021 and how she is keeping using tyres to keep fit.
- Dunne has won six singles and eight doubles titles on the ITF Women’s Circuit
- Career-high ranking 212 (May 2018) / current ranking 325 (as of 16 March 2020)
- Made her WTA Tour main-draw debut at the 2014 Aegon Classic (Birmingham, UK)